Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Royally Yours

The first time I visited Sydney was in the middle of summer. There wouldn't be any spring flowers for me to enjoy, I knew that, so what I was looking forward to were to see the roses in bloom. My first encounter with Australian-grown roses years ago was in Brisbane, where I saw the largest specimen of a rose I had ever seen in 'Just Joey'. When we were at the Royal Botanic Garden, 
the Feature Garden where I spent more time exploring was the Palace Rose Garden. It was in full bloom, with a mixture of standard, bush and weeping roses.


















The Rose Garden here, I learned, is a popular venue for weddings. My daughter had been invited to her friend's wedding there that summer. How romantic, I thought.







 Summer also brought with her hosts of blue, indigo-purple and white agapanthus  or 
 African  Lily. The name agapanthus comes from the Greek agap (love) and anthos (flower). 
 It is most appropriate for a wedding to be held in the midst of these Flowers of Love, I would
 say.






No comments:

Post a Comment