Friday, December 10, 2010

Garden Features in New Zealand


When you have visited so many gardens within the span of three weeks as I had,
sometimes it is hard to recall what a particular garden looks like. I usually rely on 
the hardscape the designers had planned into the garden as markers. Of course, 
sometimes it is the natural features like a stream, river or lake that makes the garden 
memorable. Or it could be a unique statue, or even an endearing garden ornament that 
does the trick.

In this fifth post in my series of New Zealand gardens, I’ll be featuring the distinquishing 
features of gardens, in particular the Oamaru Public Garden, Queenstown and Dunedin Botanic 
Gardens, Trotts Garden and some private gardens of homes we passed along our journey from 
North Island to South Island.




















An eye-catching feature.

Unforgettable...cherry blossom dreams.

A low stone bridge that blends with the background.

How about this? Creative, eh?

A Roman touch...
Like any of the features you see? Well, I love the red bridge, but since I can’t have one in my garden, as there’s no stream running across my property, alas, I’ll just settle for these garden ornaments…or the quaint signs that I came across in the gardens of people in New Zealand.

This gentleman should give your patio a touch of class.

Love the sentiment expressed there.

Nice touch.

Spoken like a true gardener.

Might consider a wishing well for my garden...this would certainly attract visitors..

This could be scaled down to place in my backyard, couldn't it?

Or maybe I should just import this from my friend Woo's front porch. Very ornamental, won't stray too far away, and will work for 2 meals a day.


1 Vote
Be the first to like this post.
  1. Beautiful photos, Rosie! New Zealand is a place I would love to visit; this post makes it look even more appealing. I love the red bridge, too, as well as the old stone bridge. Neither of them would work in my garden either, but I do have a garden “ornament” like your last photo:) They’re pretty good at keeping out voles, too.

  2. Hi Rose, glad to have you visit. Yes, New Zealand is truly beautiful, you’ll love it. I plan to feature one more post on the NZ gardens (although I have 1,000 other photos on them) and then move on to what’s going on in my own back yard(literally). I got home to some pleasant surprises there!
    Say hi to your garden ‘ornament’ from me,
    Rosie

  3. I understand totally u goin “nutty” over here in spring !! Well, your suite is available the next spring !
    cheers
    yc

  4. Hey Rosie,
    The new look of the blog is wonderful, so much colorful :) Love the pic of the trespassers, I will put one of those on my urban garden!
    Have a nice day!
    • Hey Betty ol’ blogging buddy,
      Thanks for the composting tip from your posting. I have added some newspaper into my bin. I t is actually a huge bin. I could throw huge trespassers in it, haha.
      Keep in touch,
      Rosie


No comments:

Post a Comment