Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Looking After Myself: Nail TLC

Hey all,

This is my first post in my 'Looking After Myself' series! I have been excited about this for a while, and am so happy to get it up and running! I thought I would start with a post about what I do to look after my nails, as they could definitely use some tlc at the moment! 

If you're anything like me, you have a special kind of relationship with your nails. Personally, I am probably too attached. If my nails break, chip or peel, it affects me on a personal level. Nothing puts me in a bad mood quicker than a couple of broken nails! 

Saying that, I thought that I would share what I do to try to keep my nails healthy. 


Tips 

Use a Glass Nail File
Your nails are made up of lots of different layers of a porting called Keratin, using a rough emery board rips these layers apart and makes your nails more prone to peeling. Glass files are a lot more gentle on your nails. 

Buff Away
Buffing your nails after filing helps seals the Keratin layers together and helps to prevent peeling. It will also leave you with a smoother edge. 

A Good Hand Cream 
I don't think I even need to explain this one! You nails and hands aren't happy when they are dry or cracked; keeping a good hand cream with you at all times will help to keep them at their best. 
My current faves: Lush Helping Hands $10.00 and Body Shop Hemp Intensive Hand Cream $23.95

Cuticle Oil 
Most of us remember hand cream, but a lot of us forget about cuticle oil all together. Your nails will adore you for using cuticle oil, it keeps them moisturised and looking (as well as feeling) great! I use cuticle oil 2-3 times a day, and always remember it each morning and night. 
My current have: Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil $18.95

A Good Base 
Base coat - I cannot even stress how important it is to invest in a good one. A good base coat conditions, prepare and strengthens your nails before nail polish application. It also will aid in the prevention of discolouration and breaks. 
My current fave: Nail Tek Foundation III $15.00

They Aren't Tools 
You need the container open? Grab a butter knife, don't use your nails. Although they seem quite strong, they do not take kindly to being used as tools, and they will break! I can almost guarantee it! 

Hopefully you enjoyed this post and it gave you some interesting information! There will be more post's like it in the coming weeks. 

What do you do to ensure the health of your nails?

Hope you all have a great night! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment